Pair of bronze Grand Tour lions after Canova
A pair of early Nineteenth Century bronze Grand Tour lions after Antonio Canova. The beautifully cast lion lying on a stepped plinth and mounted on its original verde antico marble base. The bronze lions retain an excellent colour and patination with traces of their original gilded finish.
These Grand Tour lions are 'souvenirs' modelled on the original marble sculptures by Antonio Canova for the tomb of Pope Clement XIII in St. Peter's, Rome. The lions are emblematic of the Pope's character of vigilance and moderation. Canova (1757-1822) was the finest Italian neo-classical sculptor of the late Eighteenth Century and pieces by and after him were highly sought after by the English aristocracy.