Set of four 19th Century Yewwood & Elm Windsor Armchairs
A Harlequin set of four Nineteenth Century yewwood and elm windsor armchairs; the windsor armchair's hooped back with a central pierced yewwood splat above a shaped elm seat; raised on ring turned legs united by an H-stetcher.
The windsor armchairs retain an excellent colour and they are very closely matched. One armchair is stamped F. Walker, Rockley.
Frederick Walker was Rockley's longest serving chair maker, joining the workshop of William Wheatland in 1823 and then serving under George Nicholson when he took over the workshop. When Nicholson retired in about 1845 Walker took over the workshop and he eventually retired in about 1871.
The windsor armchairs show several of Walker's windsor chair making traits: they are constructed from carefully chosen timber and they combine a 3 ring turning to the arms with 3 turnings to the legs.
Height to seat: 16.5" (42cm)