Irish Regency Folio Stand In Mahogany By Williams and Gibton
A rare Regency period mahogany library folio stand; the well figured top with a book rest and a ratchet mechanism above a pull-out slide to the right hand side and with two shelves below; raised on turned leg with wonderful overized brass wheels. Having adjustable candle arms to either side. Stamped Williams and Gibton.
The firm of Williams and Gibton were one of the finest cabinet-makers in early Nineteenth Century Ireland. Their workshops were at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and in 1806 they had been appointed 'Upholsterers and Cabinet-makers to His Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works'. Williams and Gibton supplied furniture to the most important buildings of Regency Dublin including Dublin Castle, the War Office and Viceregal Lodge. At the same time Williams and Gibton helped to furnish several Irish houses including Ballynegal, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown, Co. Roscommon.