Irish Regency Mahogany Console Table By Williams & Gibton
A fine Irish Regency period mahogany console table by Williams and Gibton; the table's back board veneered in beautifully figured flame mahogany above a one piece table top raised on turned columns with acanthus and lotus leaf carved capitals and terminating in a plinth base. The console table stamped to the right hand end Williams & Gibton.
The firm of Williams and Gibton were one of the finest cabinet-makers in early Nineteenth Century Ireland. Their workshops were at 39 Stafford Street, Dublin and in 1806 they had been appointed 'Upholsterers and Cabinet-makers to His Majesty, His Excellency the Lord Lieutenant and His Majesty's Board of Works'. Williams and Gibton supplied furniture to the most important buildings of Regency Dublin including Dublin Castle, the War Office and Viceregal Lodge. At the same time Williams and Gibton helped to furnish several Irish houses including Ballynegal, Co. Westmeath, Oakley Park, Co. Meath and Strokestown, Co. Roscommon.
This console table is typical of William and Gibton's work coupling a bold design with crisp carving and high quality veneers.