Pair Of Antique Desk Globes By Newton
A rare pair of desk globes by the eminent cartopgraphers Newton and Son, dated 1847. The 11" diameter terrestrial and celestial globes are supported in cast iron graduated meridian rings with engraved calendrical horizon rings; the original stands with fluted doric columns terminating in a mahogany triform base raised on turned feet. The terrestrial and celestial globes retain their original maps dated 1847.
The terrestrial globe bears the label 'Newton's New & Improved Terrestrial Globe Embracing Every Recent Discovery to the Present Time. Manufactured by Newton and Son, 66 Chancery Lane. London Published January 1st 1847'.
The celestial globe's label reads 'Newton's New & Improved Celestial Globe On which all the Fixed Stars, Nebulae and Clusters contained in the extensive catalogue of the late F. Wollaston F.R.S. are accurately laid down by their Right Ascensions and Declinations having been recalculated for the year 1840 by W. Newton. Manufactured by Newton and Son, Chancery Lane. London Published January 1st 1847'.
It is very rare for globes to retain their original maps as they were often updated to reflect the latest discoveries and the changing names of seas and countries.
The Newton family were probably the finest globe makers of early Nineteenth Century England. John Newton (1759-1844) trained with Thomas Bateman before founding the company in 1780. In the Regency period John was joined by his son William Newton (1786-1861) and the firm became J & W Newton trading at 97 Chancery Lane. From 1831 to 1841 the Newtons joined in partnership with Miles Berry and traded as Newton, Son and Berry. After 1841 the company was taken overy by the eldest grandson William Edward Newton (1818-1879) and traded as Newton and Son from premises at 66 Chancery Lane.